Though it's not a West Virginia matter, a $9.3 million jury verdict in a medical malpractice lawsuit should get everyone's attention. This case came about when a 72-year old woman suffering from a urinary tract infection was reportedly given an overdose of a drug called Lovenox. As a result of the medication error, the woman is now apparently confined to a wheelchair and will likely experience a number of medical issues for the remainder of her life.
Lovenox is generally administered as an anticoagulant. As a result of too much Lovenox being given, the female patient then had to undergo blood transfusions and a number of surgical procedures. The procedures were deemed necessary to prevent further injury to her internal organs.